Governor proposes $3.75M for UW Carbone Cancer Center | News
Gov. Scott Walker has announced a budget proposal of $3.75 million for the UW Carbone Cancer Center to accelerate the development of and access to new molecular imaging technology.
Walker made the announcement while traveling the state Thursday. He said he thinks the investment will encourage other groups and businesses to financially back the state's fight against cancer.
The governor's budget proposal supports the creation of the Wisconsin Oncology Network of Imaging Excellence, along with funding imaging research related equipment and expansion of the Wisconsin Oncology Network. State funding is contingent on state Department of Administration approval of a plan to obtain a fundraising match.
"We believe this will take the next step forward in terms of this new component of Imaging Excellence in part of the network statewide," Walker said.
Cancer is one of Wisconsin's deadliest health problems. The American Cancer Society said nearly 30,000 Wisconsinites were diagnosed with cancer in 2010 or about 81 people every day.
Upcoming Events near Madison Near West
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- American Family Insurance having success being green
- 04/26/2014 - Ribbon Cutting & Grand Opening - Sherwin Williams
- Middleton Police Department notified about US HWY 12 construction
- Walker upset porn-viewing teacher keeping license; District releases statement
- Court papers: Sleepy driver veered off road multiple times before hitting, killing biker