Woman finds stolen bike online; Police set up sting | News
A 64-year-old Madison woman worked with police to set up a sting after she saw her stolen bike for sale on the Internet, according to police.
The woman reported her $645 bike missing from a storage area inside her apartment building on North Segoe Road and later found it on Craigslist.
She told police she contacted the seller who told her that "This bike is an excellent deal. I'm only selling it because I'm unemployed and about to be evicted." The seller said he got the bike for Christmas and was willing to sell it for $300.
Police said she arranged to take the bike for a test ride Friday. They met at an address on North Orchard Street where police were watching as she tried out the bike.
Once the victim identified the bike as her own, the seller, Randall J. Wallace, 52, of Madison, was arrested on suspicion of receiving stolen property. He told police he found the bike abandoned in a snow bank.
Upcoming Events near Madison Near West
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Author will discuss novel, sign books Thursday
- Middleton police look for vehicle that caused injury crash
- Meeting to discuss possible path between Pheasant Branch, Graber Pond
- Mustard Day returns with tastings, free hot dogs, Mustard Custard
- No traffic through Branch St. at Maywood Ave. intersection Wednesday