Edgewood defeats Waunakee in season opener, 41-35 | News
Bobby Dunn threw four touchdown passes as Madison Edgewood defeated Waunakee, 41-35 in the season opener at Breitenbach Stadium in Middleton Thursday in the Prep Mania Game of the Week.
Jake Dragoo and Alex Wendler each had two touchdowns from Dunn as the Crusaders took a 14-0 first quarter lead and held off Waunakee the rest of the night.
Waunakee got two touchdown runs from Tyler Laufenberg and an 81-yard kickoff return for a touchdown by Hunter Hellenbrand.
A touchdown pass from Alex Helt to Jacob Andersen with 10 seconds left got Waunakee to within 41-35, but Edgewood recovered an onside kick and took a knee to run out the clock.
It's the first time Edgewood has defeated Waunakee in football.
Waunakee has lost only three times in its last 51 games. The Warriors lost to Reedsburg in October of 2009, then went on a state record tying 48-game win streak, lost to Homestead in the Division Two State Championship game last November, then to Edgewood Thursday night.
Upcoming Events near Madison Near West
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- American Family Insurance having success being green
- 04/26/2014 - Ribbon Cutting & Grand Opening - Sherwin Williams
- Middleton Police Department notified about US HWY 12 construction
- Walker upset porn-viewing teacher keeping license; District releases statement
- Court papers: Sleepy driver veered off road multiple times before hitting, killing biker